Posts
Comments

Mary Kay

Do any of you sell or use Mary Kay products or know anything about getting started in the business?

Daughter Carrie is considering doing this but I can’t really give her any advice…I don’t know the first thing about it. The only thing I can tell her is to read up about it at their website.

She’s talked to one young lady who sells Mary Kay in a town near us, and she’s told Carrie that she’s doing about 3 parties a week and has invited Carrie to come to one of her parties to see what it’s like.

If you have any tips or recommendations or (yikes!) horror stories, please we’d love to hear from you! Are Mary Kay Cosmetics still very popular??

Thanks so much!

11 Responses to “Mary Kay”

1. on 19 Feb 2007 at 12:05 pmGinger

I love the products, but be prepared to spend A LOT of money on the investment. They do not tend to let you know that up front. There is quite a bit of pressure to keep your sales up. I’m just not sure all of the time and money invested in it is worth it, unless you are willing to devote your life to it.

I’m probably going to get out of it once I become “inactive”. :(
    But again…the products are great.

2. on 19 Feb 2007 at 3:47 pmSouthern Girl

Both my mom and I use Mary Kay almost exclusively and have since about ‘82. It IS expensive, but then you also get what you pay for. My SIL’s mom used to sell it on the side and her aunt still does, so most of their huge family uses it.

3. on 19 Feb 2007 at 5:21 pmStacy

No help here, sorry :( I have a neighbor that used to sell it, and still may, but I don’t buy their products and use them. She used to have a pretty good little side business going with it, though, and I know she really liked their stuff.

Hope it all works out for Carrie!

4. on 19 Feb 2007 at 6:31 pmamy

I’ll be honest, I’ve read some horror stories online. I can’t recall where, but if you do a little Google searching, you won’t have to look hard to find them, I don’t think. I’ve also had bad experience with an overly pushy Mary Kay saleswoman…and I don’t think it was her personality; I think it was her parroting all the things she had been trained to say/do. It was VERY frustrating!

That said, my best friend joined up last summer and it’s been a great experience for her so far. I don’t know details, but I’ll try to remember to ask her about it and get back to you.

5. on 19 Feb 2007 at 6:42 pmJackson

When my wife and I first moved in together she had a bunch of Mary Kay the she had bought for a side business. Over they years she gave the good stuff away and I ended up moving the rest of the crap from basement to basement when we moved. Eventually I got sick of it and threw it away. I think i told her “I must have forgotten to load that box”.

I think the biggest risk is wasting money and space in your basement.

6. on 19 Feb 2007 at 8:52 pmmalia

All in all MK, Inc is a fine company. It’s reputable and the products are excellent. That being said, everyone is going to have a different experience.

Independent Beauty Consultants are generally directly recruited by other IBC’s or Directors. To “join” you must purchase a Starter Kit. Ten years ago (when I did it) it cost $100. I think it’s closer to $200 now. That’s all you are really “required” to purchase to begin your career as an IBC, however, Directors generally “persuade” new consultants to purchase inventory to have on hand so that they can immediately provide their customers with product. Most times this means helping them secure a loan through a bank/credit card (as happened in my case).

I think that’s the most important thing to know. It’s not just a $200 investment as they like to tell you in the recruiting process. It took me years to get out of that debt. Of course, I didn’t end up working the business they way I should have, I completely acknowledge that. But I was disappointed that I was led in the direction of acquiring debt to start the business. It can be done without having product upfront and on hand, it’s just harder and takes a whole lot more motivation and effort.

As to their popularity? I have a feeling it’s waning a bit. Mary Kay’s slogan, if you will, used to be, “America’s Best Selling Brand”. I noted a couple years ago (I’ve been out of it for over six years now) that they no longer used that phrase. I imagine it’s because it’s just not true anymore. But as with all businesses there are ebbs and flows. It’s really up to the consultant to work her business.

7. on 19 Feb 2007 at 9:31 pmChristine

Deb, MK products are wonderful, this is just my story, it’s different for everyone, but things might have been different if I had a better person over me. The lady was pushy, calling me to remind me to put my order in at late hours of the night. If your daughter is thinking of doing this, the best advice I would give her is not to invest in an inventory, unless she has friends or family that are ready to be recruited, because that is what I was told I needed to too was to recruit my mom and my friends. One way to start selling is to take a product like Satin Hands and try and sell that to 10 people, the person that is trying to recruit her can lend her a couple of sets, so she can earn…..which is what they spring on you and then tell you, you need to invest $200+ tax and shipping, for a first order to become active. I wish her good luck. I did sell off more than half of my inventory, and MK as a company has enriched many women’s lives. Just don’t let her get pushed into buying more than $600. That should give her a great start. Any questions, feel free to ask. I’m still able to be a MK consultant, I just haven’t been active in a year. For me to be active again I need to invest another $200 dollars, which is another thing I wasn’t aware of either that every 3 or 4 mos you need to place an order to stay active. Sorry for the long post, I just thought I’d give you some info.

8. on 20 Feb 2007 at 5:39 amdeb

I am so grateful for everyone’s comments on this…thank you all so much.

Carrie reads my weblog, so I know she’ll be reading the feedback you’ve left here. I think she’s planning to attend a MK party this week and I don’t want her to get pressured into anything without first having a clear understanding of what she’ll be getting into.

Before we divorced, her father and I (although I admit that I really didn’t make much of a contribution) once sold “waterless cookware” and, personally, I HATED doing those parties and it became a big problem between us because he ended up doing all the work. We did end up with a great set of (expensive) cookware but I lost custody of it in the divorce settlement ;~)

Thanks again!

9. on 20 Feb 2007 at 5:54 amZoots Mom

I know that I liked the products but I don’t really know anyone who sold it. I sold Tupperware (eons ago) and didn’t like doing it a bit. After reading the posts here, I know I’d have to do more research…But you know…if you do well you get a pink car!!!

10. on 20 Feb 2007 at 3:59 pmFranbest

Check out the dialogue on the comments sections of these two posts. You can see both sides of the Mary Kay argument.

Thanks

franbest.com

11. on 20 Feb 2007 at 4:35 pmChristy

Check out www.pinktruth.com. I am a former “middle management” consultant for MK, and have experienced the same financial failure that 99% of MLM participants face.

You said you didn’t enjoy the parties to sell the cookware… MK calls them “skin care classes.” They’re the same, awkward parties you didn’t like.

Very few people succeed in this business. If she needs verification of whether or not it’s a viable business, please have her talk to loan officers who finance entrepreneurs, and talk to at least three CPAs who are not recommended by the Mary Kay recruiter.

This will give her unbiased information.